The competition entries of the international quality and concept competition for the Makasiiniranta area at the South Harbour are now available for viewing and comments on the Voice your opinion
online service. Citizens and those interested in the development of the area are asked to give their views on how the entries would improve Makasiiniranta as a place of maritime recreation for all. Makasiininranta will also be the site for the new Architecture and Design Museum. The competition however does not include designing the new Architecture and Design Museum, but a separate architecture competition will be organised later.
The two-phase Makasiiniranta quality and concept competition launched in May 2021 aims to find a partner for the development and implementation of Makasiiniranta at South Harbour. Nine international competition groups have drawn up overall designs, in which the city centre and its services are extended to Makasiiniranta. In accordance with the goals of the competition, the Makasiiniranta area will be part of the pedestrian city centre and the seaside trail around the shores of Helsinki, and a location for the new Architecture and Design Museum.
Some of Finland’s largest and most international architects’ offices are involved in the competition as well as a few well-known international offices:
• Foster + Partners, Maanlumo and Ramboll with Hines Nordics
• HGR Property Partners, PES-Architects, VSU, WSP, Sweco
• Konsortium Gran, K2S Architecs, White Arkitekter, Ramboll, HTJ
• Merellinen Helsinki 2030, JKMM, Loci, Ramboll
• NCC Property Development Oy ja NCC Suomi Oy (NCC, Arkkitehdit Soini& Horto, AOR Arkkitehdit, MASU Planning, Destia, Ramboll Finland, SalsaConcept)
• Skanska CDF Oy ja Skanska TalonrakennusOy (Skanska Talonrakennus, Arkkitehtitoimisto ALA, SLA S/A, Sitowise
• South Harbour (NREP, SRV, Anttinen OivaArkkitehdit, Nomaji maisema-arkkitehdit, Sitowise)
• AALTO Development, LMA,Maisema-arkkitehtitoimisto NÄKYMÄ Oy, Sitowise
• Elävä Eteläsatama (Ålandsbanken,Arkkitehdit Tommila, Arkkitehdit Rudanko + Kankkunen, A-insinöörit, VSU)